Skip to main content

About this collection

 

70+ Chicago Artists Project:

Coming soon.

Kit Schwartz Archive:

Coming soon.

New Bauhaus/Institute of Design (Moholy-Nagy Foundation):

The Institute of Design (ID) began as an outpost of experimental Bauhaus education in Chicago and became one of the most important schools of photography in 20th-century America. In its iterations as the New Bauhaus (1937–38), School of Design in Chicago (1939–1944) and finally the Institute of Design (beginning in 1944), the school fostered exploration and innovation. Its faculty included such luminaries as László Moholy-Nagy, Harry Callahan, and Aaron Siskind, who in turn attracted students who would become some of the nation's finest artists, designers, and photographers. The photographic work produced by teachers and students at the ID set new standards for picture-making, and the school’s pedagogy has been disseminated internationally by generations of photographer-teachers.

In preparation for the exhibition Taken by Design: Photographs from the Institute of Design, 1937–1971 (David Travis and Elizabeth Siegel, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2002), numerous telephone and in-person interviews were conducted with teachers and students from the school. These recollections provide insight into teaching methods, the unusual pedagogy of the school across its iterations, details of student life, and the camaraderie and mutual support felt by the students at this exciting place and time. The transcription of these interviews has been made possible by a generous grant from the Moholy-Nagy Foundation.

Scholars may submit a request to hear audio recordings at rbarchives@artic.edu.

 

György Kepes. Juliet with Peacock Feather, 1937/38. Maurice D. Galleher Endowment, 1996.1, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. Ray K. Metzker. The Loop: Chicago, 1958. Photography Gallery Fund, 1960.183, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. Milton Halberstadt. Norm Martin, 1940/41. Acquired through a grant from the Lloyd A. Fry Foundation; gift of Susan Ehrens and Leland Rice, 1998.26, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. Harry Callahan. Untitled (Lakefront Fence), c. 1947. Restricted gift of Anstiss and Ronald Krueck in honor of Sylvia Wolf, 1999.315, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. Aaron Siskind. Chicago 42, 1952. Gift of Mr. Noah Goldowsky, 1956.395, © Aaron Siskind Foundation, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. Joseph D. Jachna
. Untitled, 1959. Ernest Kahn Endowment, 2001.204, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. Kenneth Josephson. Mountains, Colorado, June 1959. Photography Gallery Fund, 1960.324, © Kenneth Josephson, Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago. László Moholy-Nagy. Untitled, c. 1940. Gift of George and Ruth Barford, 1968.264, © 2017 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn; Department of Photography, The Art Institute of Chicago.

Browse by collection

 

 

 

Browse by artist

 

 

 

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK